With the holidays just a few weeks away, our to-do’s have already started piling up: wrapping presents, baking, cooking, and (of course!) getting the perfect tree. The holidays just aren’t the same without a great tree, but did you know, trees start an average of 240 home fires annually? These fires can be caused from incidents like electrical malfunctions, heat sources too close to the tree or open-flame candles and can cause serious injury and property damage. Whether your family adventurously chops down the perfect Fraser Fir or opts for an artificial spruce, be sure to follow precautions to keep holiday havoc off your list.
- Keep trees away from exits for safe escapes (LINK TO FAMILY ESCAPE PLAN).
- Make sure there is ample space between trees and heat sources like fireplaces and radiators.
- Look for an approved “Fire Resistant” label if you are purchasing an artificial tree.
- Once needles start to drop, it’s time to get rid of the tree. A dry tree is more likely to catch fire.
- Stick to unbreakable ornaments if young kids will be in your home during the holiday season.
- Never attempt to dispose your tree by burning in a fireplace or near the outside of your home. Most communities offer tree removal services.