Six Simple Safeguards:
1. Never put a cooked turkey back onto a platter that held the raw meat. Clean counters, utensils, and pans right after use with hot, soapy water.
2. If you use a disposable aluminum roasting pan, check the weight limit and consider using two. Put the pan on a sturdy baking sheet for stability.
3. Keep a box of baking soda handy. Never douse a fat or oil fire with water. Instead, cover with baking soda. Store a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, too!
4. Put out extra trivets and pot holders for hot casseroles. You’ll need them because there will be many helping hands in the kitchen.
5. Don’t throw paper products or dried flowers in the fireplace. They may have been treated with chemicals and could explode into flames.
6. Don’t place candles close to dried foliage, flower arrangements, or decorated paper goods such as napkins and place mats. Never leave candles burning unattended in any room — including the bathroom.