It’s that time of year again. When witches, ghosts and ghouls lurk behind every shadow, it’s easy to let spooky thoughts creep up behind you. With a little time for safety pre-planning, you can ensure your home and family will be ready for Halloween fun. Follow these tricks to leave your extra worries aside and spend more time enjoying the festivities:
- Dried leaves and cornstalks are a sure sign of autumn but are also highly flammable. Keep these decorations outside and away from open flames and heaters.
- Instead of open flame candles or torches, use flashlights or battery-powered “candles” when lighting jack-o-lanterns and luminaries to prevent fires from forgotten decorations.
- Are your kids trick-or-treating? Check all the candy they bring home and dispose of any open or homemade items.
- Rethink your costumes for safety. If you are making your own vampire cape or flowing princess dress, use flame-resistant fabric so it won’t catch on fire.
- Keep all entryways and your planned Family Escape Route clear of spooky decorations to prevent a hold up in the event of an emergency.
Follow these foolproof tricks to keep your home safe and scare free.